Friday, January 13, 2012

The Emerald Atlas and four more books to read.
















I know I am busy when I don’t have any time to read books anymore. Nowadays it took me about 2 month to finish a book. Just finished a great boot called Emerald Atlas by John Stephens. This is the kind of book that will have the reader glued to its pages until the stirring ending. I would equate this book to The Golden Compass, though easier to understand, and also Harry Potter. John Stephens previously a television writer, really knows how to keeps his reader attention. I saw this book at a book shop, read the first 3 pages and immediately I realized I really want to know the whole story.


The story is about the love of family, faith, and magic. The three main characters are siblings who have been taken from their parents ten years ago, forced to grow up in one orphanage after another, until finally ending up in an old mansion owned by a mysterious old man. Before they meet the old man, the children explore the house until they come upon a door that magically appears, leading fourteen Kate, and her twelve year old brother Michael, along with feisty eleven year old Emma, into a laboratory of sorts. There they
find a mysterious green leather book with filled with blank pages. When Michael, who records their lives in his journal, drops a picture onto one of the blank pages, the children are transported through time, finding themselves watching in horror as a beautiful witch threatens to drop a child into a lake.


I loved the back-story of how magic left the land, along with some real history thrown in for good measure. Stephens does a great job of adding depth to the story and for making believable and unforgettable characters. Set in modern times yet full of magic, the Emerald Atlas is non-stop action with lessons of loyalty, love and the importance of family woven masterfully into a tale that kids of all ages will find hard to put down. Like Harry Potter, the Emerald Atlas can be read by children and adults alike. Stephens' trilogy starts off with such promise. I will be eagerly awaiting book two. I hope he writes quickly.


I just bought 4 new books this week and hopefully I can finish reading all the books as soon as possible. These were the four books that I bought:

Delicacy by David Foenkinos















This book is originally written in French with the title La delicatesse. I found this book at Borders, read the synopsis at the back and intrigue to read further. So far it is good.

Safe Haven by Nicholas Sparks















It’s been a long time since I read Sparks novel. My favourite book Sparks is The Guardian and The last Song. So I hope this book will give the same feeling like his other books.

I Miss Mummy by Cathy Glass















I am the big fan of Cathy Glass! I can read her book in 2-3 days! It’s really hard to put down her book. That’s the reason I purchased this book. To me, all of her books are must buy/read item!

One Day by David Nicholls














I read lots of bad review of this movie. I haven’t watched it yet. Then I found this book at Borders, so before actually watch the movie starring Anne Hathaway, I want to read the book first then watch the movie and judge.


No comments: